2019 Call for Papers
April 4, 2019 § Leave a comment
Keynote speaker: David Bentley Hart (Fellow, Notre Dame Institute for Advanced Study)
Location: San Diego, CA
Date: November 21, 2019
“What is truth?”
Pontius Pilate’s cynical question to Jesus (John 18:38) has historically generated much philosophical and theological reflection and resonates in new ways today.
The Society of Adventist Philosophers invites proposals for papers and panels to be presented at its tenth annual symposium focusing on issues pertinent to the philosophy of truth.
Papers addressing the theme of truth within the domain of any philosophical area/method including, but not limited to, metaphysics, logic, aesthetics, ethics, epistemology, pragmatism, phenomenology, hermeneutics, deconstruction, or politics are welcome. Proposals advancing a constructive thesis will be given preference over purely descriptive treatments of specific thinkers or movements.
Pertinent questions include:
- What is truth?
- Can we know the truth? How?
- How do we deal with the inevitability of fallibility?
- What is the relationship between truth and meaning?
- How does one responsibly adjudicate between different claims to truth?
- What is the relationship between theological truth and scientific truth?
- How does a theological truth relate to a philosophical theory of truth? In what ways is Jesus “the truth”?
- What does method have to do with truth?
- Should one always tell the truth?
- How does one best communicate truth?
Prospective presenters are welcome to formulate their own questions relative to the central puzzles of this central domain of philosophical inquiry including its relevance/relationship to Christian reflection and life.
Proposals for papers or panels should be at least 300 words and not exceed 1000 words in length. The deadline for submission is June 30, 2019. Submissions should be forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org. Paper length should not exceed 10 pages, double-spaced, or 3000 words. Presenters will be allotted 20 minutes for their presentation. Additional time, as available, will be devoted to questions and discussion of presentations.